Welcome Aboard!

A nostalgic journey of the US Navy Boiler Technicians who worked in the Oil Lab on board the USS John F. Kennedy CV-67.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Match the Oil Lab Shipmate


I'm gonna throw a few incidents out there and see how good the collective memory is. See if you can match the Oil Lab 'shipmate' with the incident in question...(no need to name them on the site...loose lips sink ships...or so they say)


1. Who was it that was arrested in Oceanview for shooting bottle-rockets at "He-shes" from a moving vehicle?


2. Who opened the wrong valve during a pump-up and put about 2 inches of fuel in a berthing?


3. Who used to have Domino's pizza delivered to 17FOX by way of a salt$pepper reel?


4. Who "appropriated" a fully cooked (and quite tasty) Thanksgiving turkey from the officer's ward room?


5. Who stopped up the toilet in the restroom at the restaurant in Izmir Turkey?
That's enough for now. See if you can name the culprits. :)
BT3 Hannah

6 comments:

Chris said...

Wow Dooley

You got a memory! I'm pretty sure I was the one who had the pizza delivered by way of a salt and pepper reel. I still remember the battleship USS Iowa was parked in the pier beside us and the guy on the quarterdeck watched the pizza float up off of the barge. He actually shook his head like he was seeing things. Funny stuff!

All the other things sounded VERY familiar. I am going to have to think a little bit on it.

BT3 Hannah (Dooley) said...

Pretty good Griff. Tom Kelly did that a few times too. As for the fuel in the berthing; that was my bust. I opened the fill valve for 97-8 instead of the one for 105-8. The result was about 2 to 3 inches of fuel in that berthing at around 11:00pm. Man that sucked.

Chris said...

Dooley

Yeah, I remember now. Tom Kelly did order pizza and actually I got the idea from him.

97-8 was down in the Gunner's Mate berthing wasn't it? Actually, I can't remember what they were, I just remember they wore red shirts and there was a Navy Seal down there who threatened me once for topping off a tank while he was sleeping! 97-8 was a storage tank rather than a service tank, I think. Can't remember. Old age creeping up on me!

BT3 Hannah (Dooley) said...

You're talking about the frame 78 storage tanks. You're right, they were in the gunners mate berthing. The berthing that I'm talkin about belonged to the personnelmen, (or disbursing clerks). I can still remember every service tank on that girl, as well as the storage tanks that sluiced with them (ie 105-8 and 105-10....157-9 and 157-7). Hourly soundings on those tanks whenever we were lit-off....I'll NEVER forget those tanks.

Chris said...

Yes Dooley

First watch I ever stood on the JFK was the 12 hour watch with "Pete" as LPO. I'll never forget it. We pulled out for short 3 week cruise. The very first tanks I ever sounded on that first watch was 105-8 and 10. Believe it or not, you were the first one who showed them to me!

My all time favorite sounding tube was 110-9 down in the A-Gang place with the big hydraulic cylinder. Remember how afflicted it was to crawl down over that railing and then you had to scoot/slide between that pipe and bulkhead just to get to it? Crazy stuff man!

BT3 Hannah (Dooley) said...

Yeah...that was down in the Elevator 2 machinery room...right behind the @#$%! hydraulic fluid sump tank. Talk about a bad design, I'd love to meet the guy who designed it that way; I'd kick him square in crotch. How about 157-10 up in the cleaning gear locker by the NIS office. I cant tell you how many times someone topped that tank off during a pump up and just locked the door and LEFT it there for someone else to find.